Thursday, September 22, 2011

2011 Topps Marquee Baseball

This product has been hyped all Summer! I was super excited to bust it. I ran over to my LCS after work and he had it their waiting. As soon as he told me it was flying off like hotcakes on Ebay I knew something was wrong. He never tells me this. I could tell he was trying to pump up the product because he knew he was going to lose his shirt on it. And you know what. He did, I did, and likely you did to! I am sure 1 out of 10 boxes was decent. But from the majority of collectors I have spoken with, they felt like they were in a prison shower and the only soap available was Topps Marquee and it was lying on the bathroom floor!

So what does each pack contain:

1 Numbered Autograph Card OR 1 Numbered Jumbo or Multi - Relic Card

A box has 4 packs and you the 4 "premium" hits are
1 On Card Autograph
1 Autograph Multi Relic Card
1 Jumbo Relic Card
1 Quad Relic Card.

First here is my break.

My On Card Autograph was Jered Weaver /25..Sold for $30.00 on Ebay
My Autograph Multi Relic Card was MARLON BYRD! Sold for $6.00 on Ebay. HOW DOES MARLON BYRD GET INTO A PRODUCT CALLED MARQUEE????????????
My Jumbo Relic Card was a Brian Wilson Titanic sold for $20.00 on Ebay.
My Quad Relic Card was Juan Encarnacion. Really?? Juan Encarnacion??? Another MARQUEE Dud. Sold for $8.00 on Ebay.

So lets average the High End Cards at $14.75 or $15.00 to be nice.

You will also average one parallel card per pack (I got 3 and shorted 1). Mine were Adrian Gonzalez, Ty Cobb and Buster Posey. The Posey and Cobb sold for $4.00 a piece. The Gonzalez had no bidders at $2.00 and free shipping. So lets average the Mid Range Cards at $3.33

The base cards I am going to place a value of 25 cents.

The design of the card is nice. Nice thick stock, great photography. Thats about all Marquee has going for it.

Price point is high! I picked up my Marquee Hobby Box for $170. That is a staggering $8.50 per card. The resulting WROIR figure is a 0.45! This results in a final grade of an F!

CASE RATIO
A case is likely going to run you $1,964 for a 12 box case. You are going to get a Museum Auto. These are selling on average at $75.00. Still your price per card on a case is a staggering $8.18. This results in a WROIR of 0.55 which is a D- in my book

HOBBY BOX GRADE = F
CASE FINAL GRADE = D-

No comments:

Post a Comment